Tuesday, January 13, 2009

NYSACRA and Silly, Little Me

I look at myself and see a 22 year-old without a clue. This silly girl who dances too much and still draws on her arms with sharpies. I am so much more. Am I so much more?

I work for a wonderful (although I am irritated at a recent agency-wide paycut) Human Services Agency. With over 500 employees, I expected to fall in between the cracks. I am at the bottom of the food chain right now, a young, unexperienced college grad with little to no concrete plans for the future. I work overtime, I work at 3 separate locations, I work and I work. I am just another "DSP." Just another "residence counselor." Just another "caregiver."

Back in April I was invited to attend a NYSACRA conference held at a fancy hotel in downtown Syracuse. I ate lunch from fine china, I had 4 forks (they were all silver.) Who, me? But I lived in a van, but I have doven into dumpsters to find food, but I have resorted to washing my hair in the lake and brushing my teeth in public restrooms. Silver? Too much, too soon! I am just one of 500 employees. I was 1 of 5 chosen to attend. I had only worked for 4 months, not even long enough to have earned vacation time.

The Vice President of our Agency contacted my supervisor. She asked if I would submit a personal profile about the work I do, who I am, and the hardships that I face on a day-to-day basis. My profile (with a photo, yikes!) will be published in the Legislative Gazette. The information I give will be presented to New York State Legislators and Governor Paterson (my worst enemy.)

This is incredible. At 22 I will have the opportunity to respresent an entire profession in front of the Governor of New York State?!

It's funny, we never realize all that we are accomplishing as it is happening. Maybe I really can succeed? Maybe just being myself is enough.

1 comment:

  1. Just being you is PERFECTLY enough. I love it. I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete